Cultural Strategy Intern/Research Executive Wanted in London
Firefish Ltd is a cutting edge global strategic insights agency with offices in London and New York. Having started life as an innovative youth research agency in 2000, we have grown into one of the largest independently owned insight agencies in the world, bringing deep human understanding to the heart of the strategic decision-making process for some of the world’s biggest brands.
At the heart of our philosophy lies the belief that insight is useless unless it is immediately usable. The world is full of interesting data – the skill lies in knowing what to do with that data, and turning it into something that drives powerful strategies and leads to genuine impact.
Our Cultural Strategy team is a small, but growing part of Firefish. We spend our time decoding culture, getting under the skin of the changing nature of society, culture, technology and more, inspiring our clients to create brands that drive cultural relevancy. We work in close collaboration with other teams within the business to create integrated projects that draw on varying methodologies to create powerful, strategic outputs that drive action and have tangible impact in our clients’ businesses.
THE ROLE IN A NUTSHELL
We are looking for a Cultural Strategy Intern or Research Executive for our London office to continue to build on our past 20+ years success, working with clients such as Amazon, Pinterest, Unilever, Spotify, VFC and Diageo.
If you have an insatiable sense of curiosity, are constantly analysing the world around you, trying to understand how and why it is changing, you might just have the skills we’re looking for. Our ideal person will have a passion for culture and is already tapped into the ways it is shifting, able to spot patterns in different sources of cultural data, picking up on the signs and signals that others might not notice.
We say Intern or Research Executive because we’re open to both. The roles are dependent on you and your experience, so we don’t want to be too prescriptive. Essentially this is an entry level position, with the opportunity to grow and develop in a nurturing and supportive team environment.
- Client relationships and new business development
- Work towards becoming a confident, client-facing team member, with the ability to present complex information in a clear and impactful way
- Seeking out relevant news or market developments relating to projects or client accounts
- Active contributor to external marketing initiatives
- Cultural Research and Analysis
- Begin to carry out cultural research and scoping – finding the most important and interesting things from culture – web, magazine and literature trawls, retail immersions, cultural immersions
- Learn to conduct analysis to identify key themes, digging into the details to find the granularity behind bigger trends
- Keep on top of cultural shifts to discover how issues, trends and ideas are evolving and what the future might hold
- Draft slides under clear guidance from team members
- Proposals and Costings
- Active observer and helping hand in preparation of proposals – reading the brief, joining brainstorms, conducting any desk research and proof-reading
- Project Management
- Shadow the research process to understand each stage of the project
- Awareness of key project milestones and support the team across these
- Liaising and managing external partners and agencies to manage logistics and ongoing relationships
- People and line management
- Aware of own schedule and availability and communicates with team to manage expectations
- Aware of and sensitive to team members’ time and commitments
- Culture & internal initiatives
- Contribute to the life and culture at Firefish by joining a working group on an internal initiative
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- A smart thinker – with a bendy, creative brain – eager and able to take on any challenge thrown their way
- Fascination with culture – a passion for understanding culture, how meaning is communicated and expressed within it, and how this can be made useful for brands
- Creative spark – thinks creatively and imaginatively, and takes on new concepts quickly
- Strong team spirit – an energetic and resourceful team player who thrives on working collaboratively
- Clear communicator – has the confidence to deliver findings in a clear, impactful way
- Solution focused – loves working with a team to develop an impactful, strategic answer
- Engagement with leading edge culture – hungry for new music, new designers, emerging artists etc. Able to spot what is new, fresh and interesting
- Excellent attention to detail with good project management skills
- Strong visual thinker, with good PowerPoint design experience
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary bands and benefits shared on application
If this role sounds exciting to you, then please apply by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org along with your CV and covering letter