Our office in Brooklyn, NY, is looking for a talented research director to join the team
Who are Firefish?
Firefish is a consultancy on the move, with offices in London, Amsterdam and New York, with more to follow. We have a deserved reputation as a leading player in the world of insight where we have been at the forefront of innovation and thinking in the industry for over a decade, and have a growing reputation for delivering ideas, innovation and strategy well beyond the traditional ‘research’ remit.
Since we started, Firefish have been at the leading edge of developments in qualitative research, being instrumental in making it the multi-varied discipline it is now. Many of the techniques and developments we pioneered (film, online, life-logging, academic thinking) have become fairly mainstream and imitated by many, but innovation is in our DNA and we continue to take research forward.
Firefish is powered by its people. We are united by shared values and entrepreneurial spirit, proud of our shared success and stimulated by our lively innovative culture. We thrive on solving problems, and the positive energy that results from doing a great job of it. And we work hard to make sure that all our people are progressing, have clear goals and a development programme, are looked after and supported, and really feel they are part of and contributing to Firefish’s overall success.
Firefish offers the opportunity to fast track and transform your career, in an environment that will stimulate and challenge you, and looks to develop and support your interests and talents. We give back as much as you put in, and together look to fulfil our joint potential.
Firefish NYC had been open for 2 years and is set for growth. We are looking for an inspired and agile team to help build the business. This is a career changing opportunity to be part of our business acceleration. There are daily opportunities for the right candidate to engage with senior clients and work with the International Firefish leadership team.
The role in a nutshell
This role will provide you with an opportunity to use your instinctive understanding of people combined with your knowledge of brands to provide clients with extraordinary insight to help them grow. As a Director you will be responsible for the development of strong client relationships that contribute to the successful growth of the business. You will be expected to collaborate with other members of the team, and to coach people where relevant, to ensure we are delivering the best advice to clients. Whilst you will nominally report into the group head, in reality as a Director you will partner in building a high performance team. At Firefish you will have the opportunity to work with some of the most talented and creative minds in the business, and whilst senior input will always be available, you will need to be confident about your ability to lead projects and develop client relationships.
What are you here to do?
- Overall, to be a highly skilled research practitioner capable of designing, executing and delivering inspiring research for clients, whilst playing an active role in the leadership of the team
- Create and draft effective and winning proposals, with minimal input from more senior team members
- Design creative and relevant methodologies to answer a variety of briefs
- Confidently write all types of research document e.g. discussion guide, sample or oversee and teach more junior team members in drafting these
- Understand the wider Firefish world / new methodologies and be able to talk confidently about it to clients
- Confidently run all types of qualitative fieldwork – including moderating client workshops, online communities, online focus groups, face to face groups and depths
- Improvise and adapt methodologies to ensure the objectives of the project are being answered at all times
- Take on responsibility for all elements of international fieldwork, including travel to all markets and client liaison
- Be the main point of contact for clients and confidently handle any requests they may have
- Be a driving force within analysis sessions, putting forward hypotheses and ideas for others to respond to
- Come up with strategic recommendations that appreciate a client’s business and research objectives
- Crystalize key findings from a project in a written topline that can go straight to the client
- Design and execute a debrief from start to finish ensuring objectives of the project are met, bringing in senior input where relevant to ensure best possible output
- Develop a clear debrief structure that can be used to brief and delegate to the rest of the team
- Present full debriefs to clients regularly, confidently and successfully
Confidentiality and Data Protection/ MRS Codes of Conduct
- Be discreet, responsible and respectful when dealing with confidential documents and issues
- Be aware of and maintain MRS Code of conduct/Data Protection in all activities – seek advice if in doubt.
- Simultaneously oversee multiple projects within your team while also maintaining other broader directorial responsibilities – ensuring effective delegation across the team, maintaining high quality standards, ensuring necessary project admin is in place.
- Instil and deliver a team spirit of mutual inspiration and to drive continual improvement and development within the team, taking responsibility for the development & well-being of at least 2 direct reports, developing skills throughout the group
- Create, develop and maintain a position as a trusted advisor and consultant with senior clients, developing a rapport that goes beyond research, and seeking new opportunities for Firefish to meet their needs
Business Development & Commerciality
- Take responsibility for project profitability, ensuring that commercial aims are met without undermining quality of outputs, identifying and addressing reasons for low profitability
In addition, the job holder is expected to undertake any other task, deemed to be appropriate to this role, as directed by your line manager or other member of the Management Team.
The skills you will need to excel in...
- A strong academic background
- USA research experience is essential
- Brand, communications and NPD research experience within FMCG and other sectors is essential
- Strategy consulting experience is a plus
- Online / digital research experience
- A proven ability in all aspects of the research process including:-
- Receiving client briefs and delivering winning proposals
- Strong project management and client communication
- Outstanding moderation
- Strong and strategic analysis skills
- Clear & engaging debrief writing
- Evidence and experience of simultaneously handling multiple projects at various stages of completion
- A proven ability to build client relationships and showing potential to form long-lasting client relationships
- Evidence of running own clients - building an on-going relationship and being seen as a key contact for clients
- Evidence of proactively seeking new business and winning it
- To have expert knowledge and experience of most of the different data collection methods
- To have a good working knowledge of other types of research (e.g. qualitative, observations, mystery shopping) to answer client's questions
- Performance related bonus
- Private Medical and Dental Insurance
- 401K program
- Season ticket loan scheme
- Individual training budget
- Cell with all calls (within reason!)
- Company laptop
- Birthday cake and present
- Teas, Coffee and Fruit Supplied
- Office Dogs!
If you think you are the person for the role, please click the APPLY NOW button below.
Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you.Apply now